In most laser printers, especially Brother printers, the toner cartridge is designed to fit into the drum unit. Whatever yield of the toner cartridge -standard yield, high yield and extra high yield cartridge models- are designed to fit into their designed drum units. The drum unit then is installed into the laser printer.
Both toner cartridge and drum unit will need to be replaced in the future. But the toner is always the first to be replaced.
How to Install Toner Cartridge
The toner cartridge is replaced when its toner powder runs out. The printer will notify the user through the computer or through its control panel.
To install the toner cartridge, follow the directions:
- Properly uninstall your old toner cartridge from the drum unit.
- Store the old cartridge in its original packaging to prevent loose toner remnants from spreading. Dispose of it properly or recycle it responsibly.
- Unbox the new cartridge and remove it from its packaging.
- Look for its safety clip and carefully remove it.
- Remove the seal tape found on the side of the toner cartridge. Dispose the tape.
- Properly install the new cartridge into the drum unit. You may hear it click into place.
How to Install Drum Unit
Most drum units need to be replaced after up to 4 toners. Worn drum units causes smudging, blank spots and poor printing quality as they are no longer effective in handling toner powder.
Laser printers are designed to keep track of drum unit life span by counting its rotations. When it has reached the programmed limit, the printer will notify the user through the computer or by its control panel. The programmed limit can be seen in the drum unit's product page or in your printer's manual.
To install your drum unit:
- Remove the old drum unit from the printer.
- Remove the toner cartridge from the old drum unit.
- Put the old drum unit into its packaging to prevent spreading of old toner remnants. Dispose of it properly or recycle it responsibly.
- Unbox the new drum unit and remove it from the packaging.
- Carefully remove its protective clip.
- Properly install the toner cartridge into the new drum unit.
- Carefully install the new drum unit into the laser printer.